Here are our tips for helping prolong the life of your candle and how to ensure that it burns cleanly and evenly, too.
- We know you know, but never leave a burning candle unattended.
- Do not burn candles for longer than 4 hours or less than 1 hour.
- To obtain an optimum burn always allow the entire surface of the candle to become molten as this will ensure an even burn and prevent 'tunnelling'.
- Keep candles out of reach from children and animals.
- Keep wicks trimmed to 6mm at all times. If you keep your wicks too long, small particles of unburned carbon (soot) will escape as a visible wisp of smoke. Although this isn’t harmful, keeping wicks trimmed will prevent it.
- Keep wax pool free from debris such as match-ends and wick trimmings.
- Avoid placing a candle in a draughty area as this lends to an uneven burn.
- Allow your candle to solidify before re-lighting and always protect the surface on which the candle rests.
- Prevent damage to your candle vessel (remember you can use it again!) by never burning right down to the bottom.
- If you leave a long wick, when lit the candle will heat up fast and fragrance a room more quickly -perfect if you have forgotten to light your candles before someone you want to impress comes around. But for a more wide-spreading and longer lasting fragrance, snip the wick shorter and light the candle earlier.
- Also freezing will remove any excess wax off candlesticks, holders, or clothing.